With the lockdown extending into Valentine’s Day, I couldn’t leave you all hanging without an at-home alternative to your usual lavish celebrations. I thought it would be extra fun to have a theme this year… so, in the spirit of the season, I went with pink. That’s right, get ready to indulge in the most commercially colourful Valentine’s dinner of your life. We’ve got three dishes, and they’re all as pink as a peony. So put on your favourite pink-fit and get cookin’! (Oh, and heads up, you’ll want to do your prep in the afternoon to let things marinate.)
Appetizer: For the Love of Slaw!
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- 2 red beets, peeled and julienned (thin sticks)
- 2 candy cane beets, peeled and julienned
- 1 red apple, julienned
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 1 pack dried instant ramen noodles
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp canola, avocado, or sunflower oil
- 6 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 2 clove of garlic minced, minced
- Sriracha to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Split the dressing in half, because you’ll use this as the base for your marinade later!
- Toss the cabbage, radicchio, both beets, apple, and cranberries in a large bowl with most of the dressing you put aside for your salad, but save some to serve.
- Let the slaw marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to two hours.
- When it’s time to serve, toast and add the almonds, and crumble the instant noodles. Then, add the reserved dressing and give it a toss!
Entree: I Love you So, Miso! (serves 4)
- 1 lbs fillet of salmon, trout, or tuna
- Salad dressing
- ½ cup mirin
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- In a saucepan, combine the other half of your salad dressing with the mirin. Once both are heated, but not boiling, whisk in your sugar and miso until it dissolves.
- Let the marinade cool completely.
- Place your fish in a baking dish, pour in the marinade and give it a little massage.
- Let the fish marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Cook the fish in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, unless you’re making tuna– then sear it in a greased frying pan for 3-6 minutes each side! Serves four.
Dessert: Strawberry Fields Forever (serves 4)
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint strawberry (or any) ice cream
- ¼ cup chocolate: semi-sweet, white, dark, milk, whatever floats your boat!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Place the whole strawberries in the fridge 30 minutes before you’re ready to start crafting your sundaes.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in thirty second increments, mixing well between each, repeating until creamy.
- Scoop your ice cream into a bowl.
- Dip however many strawberries your heart desires in your magic chocolate and watch as it hardens to create a shell!
- Place your strawberries on top of your ice cream and drizzle with more of your chocolate love potion.
- Believe in the magic!
Thanks, and whether you are celebrating alone or with others, have a safe and colourful Valentine’s Day!